Wanted: Great Single Player Games

Here visitors can look around, post questions or just say hi.
Frydeswinde
Borg Queen

Wanted: Great Single Player Games

Post by Frydeswinde » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:51 am

No matter how nice MMO's are, you dont have a "Save Game" option and the competition with other players makes me play much more then the "just another minute, then I go out to enjoy the weather / dinner with friends / sports", more like "just another few hours, I can do with 5 hours sleep and who needs a social life anyway?"

So looking into solo games because no matter what, this gaming rig wasnt bought to gather dust, that is a side functionality (this reminds me to build some makeshift belts to hang it under my desk).
Been playing Grim Fandango a bit, very nice game and really challanging at times. A bit low on the hack and slash tho, longing for blood now!

NWN... What can I say? The original doesnt seem to grasp my attention like it used to and the expansion sets cant seem to be able to grasp me either. 16th of september NWN2 will come out and very likely I will buy that and enjoy it.

Oblivion. Can anyone tell me why I should buy this instead of getting a copy from thepiratebay.org? I read that it was really beautifull and filled with stuff, more stuff and even more ... stuff! Any special reasons this is a must-play?

Gamespot mentioned Titan Quest as the new Diablo-kinda-game. Nice GFX, nice gameplay, nice special effects, some questing and loads of hacking and slashing. Anyone got xp with this?

You guessed right, I would like an RPG kinda Action-Adventure without too much subtlety. Reasons to roll a mage: to blow stuff up! Reasons to roll a warrior: to chop things up! Reasons to roll a priest: none, priests are gay...

I am open for suggestions, old and new games alike.

Grtz,
Frydes

Prunes
Thingy fiddler

Re: Wanted: Great Single Player Games

Post by Prunes » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:39 pm

Frydeswinde wrote:Oblivion. Can anyone tell me why I should buy this instead of getting a copy from thepiratebay.org? I read that it was really beautifull and filled with stuff, more stuff and even more ... stuff! Any special reasons this is a must-play?
if you like a nice open world to run around in then Oblivion is a great choice, lots of action and side missions... only let down by the length of the main story (very short for an elder scrolls game, but still long for most games)

hadnt seen Titan Quest before but just watching trailers now... seams a little like the Dungeon Seige games which where very fun (no set classes but training speed, done by actions, is based on your level in the skill and total levels so switching later in the game isnt a good idea) ... almost forgot, Dungeon Seige (original atleast, might need LoA expansion) had savegame support for cooperative play

a few of a games ive played recently....
if you want a headache, and who doesnt?!, check out Prey... lots of gravity changing/walking up walls to confuse

Half-life2 episode 1 was not bad but definatly not worth paying for, same with Sin episode 1

Psychonauts was a nice change, a standard console thirdperson collect/action game

i also tried Space Rangers 2 which despite its name was quite good. like EvE (in the sense of universe/goals) but 2d, top down and turn based. didnt play it for long tho as the AI plays a little too much like humans... avoiding combat areas until youve almost won then jump in and steal loot or just blowing it up to stop you from getting it... or sometimes try to export money from you by piracy

Denyria
Guild Leader

Post by Denyria » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:34 pm

Frydeswinde wrote:No matter how nice MMO's are, you dont have a "Save Game" option and the competition with other players makes me play much more then the "just another minute, then I go out to enjoy the weather / dinner with friends / sports", more like "just another few hours, I can do with 5 hours sleep and who needs a social life anyway?"
So true, I'm also looking for a RPG, single player. I'm thinking of trying Keepsake, it seems nice :)

Drakfot
Guild Muse

Post by Drakfot » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:50 pm

Frydeswinde wrote:Been playing Grim Fandango a bit, very nice game and really challanging at times.
A lovely game, not a hack and slash as you say. But Lucasarts sure knows how to make good adventure games.

Other in the same catergory are :
Sam and Max hit the road
Day of the tentacle
The Dig
Full Throttle

Not that they fit the category you describes that you are looking for. But they are definately worth a shot if you want to do someting else for a little while. ( They all work well using scummvm http://www.scummvm.org ).

Other then that I agree with Thosam aboiut Dungeon Siege I & II.

//Drakfot
//Drakfot,
(Admin/Moderator/Host)
I am but a crafter of words

Frydeswinde
Borg Queen

Post by Frydeswinde » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:32 pm

Drakfot wrote:Other then that I agree with Thosam aboiut Dungeon Siege I & II.
Thosam?

Thanks for your opinions and the random boldness here and there, now I should really get some work done. Thinking about games is so much nicer then thinking about how to specify and set up an end to end system-chain test to make sure all parts in this rather complex multi-platform, multi-system, maxi-chaos chain of action that the request for an insurance fee calculation work as they should...

Drakfot
Guild Muse

Post by Drakfot » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:20 pm

Frydeswinde wrote:
Drakfot wrote:Other then that I agree with Thosam aboiut Dungeon Siege I & II.
Thosam?
*coughs* Prunes *cough*
damn depression and the insomnia it brings...
sorry about that.

//Drakfot
//Drakfot,
(Admin/Moderator/Host)

Ulani
Celestial Guardian

Post by Ulani » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:39 pm

Frydeswinde wrote: Oblivion. Can anyone tell me why I should buy this instead of getting a copy from thepiratebay.org? I read that it was really beautifull and filled with stuff, more stuff and even more ... stuff! Any special reasons this is a must-play?
The only reason to buy it would be that it's The Right Thing® to do. ;) But after a week in the game I got pretty bored with it. I have had tons of fun with the NPCs in Baldur's Gate 2 and Deekin in NWN but Oblivion's NPCs are just boring.

Can't help you to a good modern hack/slash RPG though, what about KOTOR or the new DVD-collection of Baldurs Gate 2?

Sxarlet
Carrier of stealth socks

Post by Sxarlet » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:13 pm

Ulani wrote: The only reason to buy it would be that it's The Right Thing® to do. ;) But after a week in the game I got pretty bored with it. I have had tons of fun with the NPCs in Baldur's Gate 2 and Deekin in NWN but Oblivion's NPCs are just boring.

Can't help you to a good modern hack/slash RPG though, what about KOTOR or the new DVD-collection of Baldurs Gate 2?
Aye, Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 is a lot of fun. KOTOR 1 is cool, KOTOR 2 was very buggy and had a very weird plot, especially at the places they cut out some part of the story. Still was fun tho...
(you can borrow them if you want!)

An oldie I sometimes reinstall: Startopia, not rpg at all, but micro-management, but it is a lot of fun. One of the games I ever bought I think...

Denyria
Guild Leader

Post by Denyria » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:02 pm

I thought KOTOR 1 was quite nice, I enjoyed the plot and didn't get too annoyed by the bugs (except the loading-crash one), but I just couldn't play KOTOR 2 for some reason :|

I'm trying Oblivion some day now, it got got a high rating :>

Aina
Celestial Guardian

Post by Aina » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:34 pm

I've tried oblivion and liked it in the beginning, but it wasn't verry fun after some point, you are just chasing around NPC's and the story isn't that good from my pov.

I've been playing openttd and found it alot of fun, old settler campains and pirates, if you want I can lend you the cd's for that one.

also civ IV is cool to play especialy the mods people are making. you can borrow that aswell :)

Ulani
Celestial Guardian

Post by Ulani » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:46 pm

Anyone played Galactic Civilzations 2? I loved Master of Orion 2 and this looks even better.

Drakfot
Guild Muse

Post by Drakfot » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:47 pm

geeza wrote: I've been playing openttd and found it alot of fun
Oohh ! Great game :)
Choo choo

//Drakfot
//Drakfot,
(Admin/Moderator/Host)

Frydeswinde
Borg Queen

Post by Frydeswinde » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:52 am

On a very impulsive whim I bought Titan Quest which turned out exactly what I was looking for. It has almost the same gameplay as diablo and I consider that a compliment. A nice little story, a lot of hack'n'slash'n'firebolts and set in ancient greece.

No dragons, yes Cyclops.
No elves, yes Satyrs.

Actually it looks and feels like a console game with the very few buttons I need to play it so it is likely developed with a port in mind.
The gfx glitches sometimes caused by the wiremodels going weird wont make this 3D engine a winner (yes, full 3D) but when looking at some small details like the way an enemy drops when killed... hmmmm....:-)
It seems that the amount of life you take with the killing blow determines the amount of AARGH teh corpse will display. When killing a skeleton in one blow (got a *very* nice hammer from the cyclops mentioned earlier) it will fall apart and each bone will set off in a different direction at high speed. Some form of physics engine is used here, causing loot to roll down a hill as in seen in Oblivion too, causing bones to bounce off walls and when I meet some cat-people it is fun to hit em with a special attack so their corpse is flung down the cliff we are fighting on with a high arc.

Multiplayer is suppost to be able but didnt try yet. A map/quest/art editor toolset is installed as well. The game seems to be very MS dependant but maybe some linux geek can get it to work on whatever platform.

Do you remember the speed at which your old mice wore out in the Diablo Clickfest? Did you do Meffie runs to get a set complete? Do you remember the bad things as well?

Titan Quest cannot be called the most innovative or most catching game but if you happen to be looking for nice gfx, shallow gameplay and once in a while an hour of hitting stuff, blowing stuff up and just running around a bit in Old Greece I can recommend this game.

And now back to work instead of acting like I am wirting some review for a schoolyard gamemag...

Denyria
Guild Leader

Post by Denyria » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:35 pm

Sounds quite fun :).

What I'd want, is World of Warcraft in full singleplayer mode, I think it'd be great!

Frydeswinde
Borg Queen

Post by Frydeswinde » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:28 pm

Denyria wrote:Sounds quite fun :).

What I'd want, is World of Warcraft in full singleplayer mode, I think it'd be great!
You can have that easy!

- right-click on your chat tabs and disable all channels.
- turn off all visuals displaying other players chat balloons and what not.
- play on a PvP server and never turn off your PvP tag
- /ignore everyone who is running after you, they might be trying to send you a tell which you cannot read, see point 1
- Dont use the AH at all, only sell and buy with NPC's. The AH is all about interaction.
- Basically: treat everything and anyone as an NPC with very sophisticated AI, seeing they behave almost like there was a human on the other side.

Looking at this list, it will prolly improve the game greatly, just as the amount of time you will spend on it will get closer to a single player game ;-)

Grtz